Wednesday, October 15, 2008

On Epistemology

I've recently been studying Epistemology (the theory of knowledge and how we obtain it) by reading a book entitled "Epistemology: A Contemporary Introduction to the Theory of Knowledge," by Robert Audi. This book is one in the Routledge Contemporary Introductions to Philosophy series. I highly recommend this book for anyone interested, but be warned, although it claims to be an introduction, it's quite dense and slow going, although not because it was written poorly, but rather because the topic itself is a dense topic, yet Audi does a fine job, in my opinion, in presenting it.

Of course the book is an introduction to the topic of epistemology, and I am not a philosopher or a student of philsophy, and so for someone who is well-read in Philosophy and epistemology specifically, this book might be all too familiar and, perhaps, an easy read--which isn't to say that it shouldn't be read. But still, although I don't know the subject well, I find this introduction fascinating and the concepts, as Audi explains them, certainly not simple, but whether because the subject just fascinates me or because Audi's writing and his orginazation of the topics is excellent (and here I think it's probably both), I am learning about and understanding these concepts moreso than with any other book or paper that I've read on the topic.

0 comments:

Design by Dzelque Blogger Templates 2008

Clancy on Philosophy - Design by Dzelque Blogger Templates 2008